ASTM D 4060 - Abrasion Resistance of Organic Coatings by the Taber Abraser
This test reveals how well a finish will resist abrasion. The performance of a finish is based on how many cycles it takes to wear through a finish.
The image shows how a test specimen appears after the test.
ASTM D3359 - Measuring Adhesion by Tape Test
This test is used to assess the adhesion of a paint to a substrate. A standard grid is scribed into the surface, standardized tape is applied to the scribed area and then removed.
The image shows a test specimen with excellent performance. There was no flaking or finish removed.
ASTM D 2794 - Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effects of Rapid Deformation (Impact)
This test reveals how well a finish will endure rapid deformation (or denting) caused by an impact.
The image to the right is an example of poor performance. The finish cracked and flaked as a result of the impact.
ASTM D3363 - Film Hardness by Pencil Test
This test is used to determine the hardness of a painted surface. Standard pencils with various hardnesses are used to gouge and break through the painted surface.
The image shows a test specimen with various pencil scratches.
Surface Finish Testing
Advanced Furniture Testing offers surface finish testing services!
We offer extensive experience evaluating the appearance and wear resistance of a variety of coatings such as:
- Paint on Metal
- Paint on Wood
- Powder Coat
- Stain and Varnish on Veneer or Wood
Whether you need to characterize the performance of a painted surface or to monitor the consistency of your finishing process, we can help you get results!
We recommend the following test methods for evaluating surface finish performance:
- ASTM E 376 – Measuring Coating Thickness by Magnetic-Field or Eddy Current (Electromagnetic) Examination Methods
- ASTM B 499 – Measurement of Coating Thickness by the Magnetic Method: Nonmagnetic Coatings on Magnetic Metals
- ASTM D 522 – Mandrel Bend Test of Attached Organic Coatings
- ASTM D 523 – Specular Gloss
- ASTM D 1308 – Effect of Household Chemicals on Clear and Pigmented Organic Finishes
- ASTM D 2091 – Print Resistance of Lacquers
- ASTM D 2794 – Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effects of Rapid Deformation (Impact)
- ASTM D 3359 – Measuring Adhesion by Tape Test
- ASTM D 3363 – Film Hardness by Pencil Test
- ASTM D 4060 – Abrasion Resistance of Organic Coatings by the Taber Abraser
Telephone: (844) 221-5689
Download Furniture Test Brochures
Advanced Furniture Testing applies experience and technology to help our customers obtain the compliance needed to sell their products. See what we offer in the following brochures!